Saturday, February 14, 2015

Senior Citizen Valentine Dance!

On trips like this, some of the most meaningful, fun and touching times are the ones that are unplanned and unexpected. We stopped in a little town to see this lovely church.



Ali Bazzano (South River School teacher) and I went across the street to the church hall, as there was nice music sounding out of the open front doors. It was A senior citizens' Valentine dance! Ali and I walked in the door and started dancing. Within seconds men and women grabbed our hands for us to dance with them. One by one, more of our group came to the hall to see what was going on, one by one, more of our group joined the dancing. Costa Rican and American smiles grew bigger and bigger. The dancing continued, so many Costa Ricans lined up do dance with the Americans.  We even got them to join in a Congo line, as I grabbed the handles of this lovely lady's wheelchair to lead the way. Her son and daughter, both middle aged, came up to me to proudly tell me that she was their mother.




There were three children in the room who loved joining in the fun.




When I pointed to the door to the elderly man that it was time for us to go, he handed me a microphone to say something to the people. In my very broken Spanish I told them that we are all teachers from the USA and thanked them for letting us join in their fun, they threw their arms in the air and clapped for our group.
I could truly feel the multi-cultural love in the air this Valentine's Day.  Very, very special. The smiles, hugs and love I will never ever forget.


6 comments:

  1. Wow! Such adventures! And we sit here, snowed in again! Have a blast for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meadow's face was priceless, when I showed her, the picture of you pushing the lady in the wheelchair. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete