Friday, February 20, 2015

DaSilva Biological Research Center (Rainforest)

We visited this center in Sarapiqui. This is a center where scientists come from all over the world to observe and collect data on animals and plants of all kinds.We spent the afternoon there, had supper there, and then went out on the trails with long sleeves, long pants, pants tucked into our socks, and hiking boots. Hats, too. Oh yes, such a glamour walk!! I thought we had to tuck our pants into our socks to avoid bug bites, but I later learned that this was because some of the venomous snakes can detect our body heat if skin near the ground is exposed! These hikes, both by day and night, were wonderful.

Some Pictures by Day:


This is a Three Toed Sloth. Notice the greenish hair. This is a type of algae that gets into the fur fibers,  mostly on the three toed sloths.


There are his toes!


We have seen loads of iguanas.



I really loved these humming birds! I was able to get this picture by putting my camera up to the lense of our guide's telescope.


And here is an adorable humming bird sitting on eggs in her nest!


Some Animals by night at Sarapiqui:



3 comments:

  1. Look at those eyes on the frog! Wow! I love the iguanas. Are they afraid of people, or dangerous in the wild? The only iguanas I have ever encountered are pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those eyes on the frog! Wow! I love the iguanas. Are they afraid of people, or dangerous in the wild? The only iguanas I have ever encountered are pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible photography! Are the iguanas eating a type of melon or maybe a papaya?

    ReplyDelete